|Back to listing||Apply|
210075-Main Kitchen Area Chef (May Start)
Supervises, coordinates, and participates in activities of cooks and other kitchen personnel engaged in preparing and cooking foods in hotel, restaurant, cafeteria, or other establishment by performing the following duties.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Establishes and maintains operational manuals for Lake Terrace Dining Room, Hotel Bar, Room Service and the Broadmoor Café with updates for menu descriptions, presentation, and costs.
- Assists restaurant and catering personnel in developing and generating annual sales. Assists with developing special menus for functions.
- Trains staff in each area on menus and coaches them in producing a consistent food product.
- Develops quantity checklists to ensure exact cost margin and to avoid over- or under-ordering.
- Communicates on a daily basis with all Area Chefs on activities in the hotel.
- Communicates with front-of-the-house managers on guest comments, service issues, and standards.
- Ensures that the kitchen is consistently kept in operational order and that maintenance and sanitation procedures are followed up on.
- Checks coolers daily for proper rotation of products and properly utilize storage to avoid spoilage.
- Delegates an opening and closing procedures and duties.
- Ensures that fair and consistent departmental rules and practices are in place and upheld.
- Keeps an update on actual versus budgeted labor count.
- Operates within budgetary guidelines.
- Participates in Banquet functions as assigned.
- Prepares and sets par stock of base soups, stocks and sauces.
- Facilitates Sunday and Holiday brunch buffets.
- Receives and examines food and supplies to ensure quality and quantity meet established standards and specifications.
- Determines food, labor, and overhead costs. Directs food apportionment policy to control costs.
- Fosters and promotes a cooperative working climate, maximizing productivity and employee morale.
- Participates in developing the vision of food and concept trends consistent with company objectives and initiatives.
- Assists in ensuring that kitchens provide nutritious, safe, appealing, and properly flavored food.
- Assists in establishing and implementing quality standards in cooking methods, presentation techniques, portion control, and retention of nutrients.
- Identifies situations which compromise the department’s standards and rectifies these immediately.
- Creates and develops recipes and plans and prices menu items.
- Minimizes waste and maintains controls to attain forecasted food and labor costs.
- Represents the hotel in public relations opportunities when needed.
- Researches local products, new suppliers, and special markets.
- Provides culinary instruction and demonstrates culinary techniques to kitchen staff.
- Performs other related duties as required.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Thorough knowledge of menu planning, food presentation, and banquet and event service operations.
- Thorough knowledge of food safety, sanitation, storage, and maintenance.
- Thorough knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation and production methods.
- Thorough knowledge of financial statements and operating budgets.
High School diploma and ACF Apprenticeship or culinary school graduate; eight to ten years’ experience with a minimum of three years in culinary management. Experience in a full service, fast paced restaurant required.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Directly supervises employees in the Main Kitchen and other Culinary Staff as required. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to extreme cold (non-weather) and extreme heat (non-weather). The employee is frequently exposed to work near moving mechanical parts. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet or humid conditions (non-weather). The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; talk or hear and taste or smell. The employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 60 pounds, occasionally push and/or pull 100+ lbs. and lift up to 100 lbs. with assistance. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and distance vision.
|Back to listing||Apply|