Sign up here to receive the Recipe of the Month via email.
February 2015 - Cheddar & Apple Risotto with Smoked Bacon
- 9 ¾ cups Colorado apple cider
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 head garlic
- 1 pound sharp, cheddar
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 bunch thyme
- 18oz smoked bacon, diced
- ½ onion, minced
- ¾ tsp sea salt
- 17 ½ oz carnaroli rice
- 10 oz sharp cheddar, grated
- 3 jalapenos, minced
- Put onions, garlic, peppercorn, thyme, and cheddar in cheesecloth and tie.
- Place in a pot and pour cider directly over.
- Reduce by almost half.
- Strain mixture.
- Caramelize bacon in pan, add onions and sweat, then toast rice for two minutes.
- One ladle at a time add cheese stock.
- Once absorbed add more stirring constantly.
- Cook risotto until it has a small amount of bite.
- Season with sea salt, add diced jalapeno, then fold in cheddar cheese.
- Sear off pork belly on both sides. Garnish with honey crisp apples, brussel sprouts, and parmesan tuile.