Sign up here to receive the Recipe of the Month via email.
April 2014 - Risotto au Vert
Korey Sims, Chef de Cuisine Penrose Room
Ingredients for the Risotto:
- ½ lb. carnaroli rice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 shallot diced small
- ½ gallon chicken stock (heated to a simmer)
- Heat the butter over medium temperature in a wide shallow pan until melted and add the shallots.
- Cook the shallots until they are translucent and aromatic, but not browned.
- Add the rice and toast for two minutes, shaking the pan to ensure even heat distribution.
- Deglaze the pan with white wine and reduce until 80% of the wine is evaporated.
- Slowly begin incorporating the chicken stock 1 cup at a time.
- Stir the stock into the rice with a wooden spoon, but do not continuously stir.
- The rice should be at a slow simmer and nothing should be sticking to the sides of the pan.
- Slowly shake the pan as the rice cooks to ensure the rice is cooking evenly.
- Add more stock 1 cup at a time until the rice is al dente.
- Cool and reserve for later use.
Ingredients for the Herb Puree:
- 2 oz basil
- 2 oz chives
- 4 oz parsley
- 2 cups spinach
- 2 oz tarragon
- 2 oz olive oil
- Bring a pot of water to boil and season with 2 ounces of salt per ½ gallon of water.
- Pick herbs clean of any stems and blanch them in the boiling water.
- Ensure that the pot is large enough to add all of the herbs without bringing the water under a boil.
- Cook for 2 minutes and place herbs directly in an ice bath.
- Once cooled, chop herbs and place them in a blender.
- Add olive oil, and 2 tablespoons of water, then blend until smooth.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Ingredients for the Carrot Puree:
- 2 medium size carrots peeled
- 2 cups water
- ½ cup butter browned
- Heat butter in a small pot over medium low heat until brown.
- Chop carrots into small rounds. Heat water to a boil and cook carrots until very tender.
- Place the cooked carrots into a blender and add the butter and water.
- Blend until smooth (if necessary add more water to thin).
- ½ lb fresh English peas shelled
- ½ lb fresh chanterelle mushrooms rinsed and stems removed
- ½ lb butter
- 1 cup quality parmesan cheese shredded
- 3 cups chicken stock (heated to a simmer)
- Heat a pot of water to boil and season with salt.
- Blanch peas until tender.
- Heat a sauté pan over medium heat and add 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Once butter is melted and hot add chanterelle mushrooms and cook until tender.
- Add blanched peas to the mixture, season with salt and pepper, and reserve to the side for garnish.
- Heat the carrot puree over low heat until warm. Reserve it to the side for garnish.
- Place cooked risotto in a pot and add chicken stock.
- Cook until rice begins to thicken and is warm.
- Remove from heat and add herb puree, ¼ lb butter, and parmesan cheese.
- Stir to incorporate, and bring the mixture back to a low simmer.
- Place carrot puree on the base of the plate.
- Put the herb risotto in a ring mold on the plate and let rest for 1-2 minutes.
- Garnish with peas, mushrooms, fresh herbs, and parmesan cheese.