Sign up here to receive the Recipe of the Month via email.
Summit Heirloom Tomato Salad
When summer rolls around and heirloom tomato season begins l really like to put this salad on the menu. It is a favorite of our guests and the best part is its super simple to make at home. If you are having trouble finding heirloom tomatoes use nice ripe Roma or Campari tomatoes.
- ½ cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- 1 minced Shallot
- 1 clove minced Garlic
Salt and pepper to taste
Wisk all of the ingredients together and set aside.
Whipped Herbed Goat Cheese
- 6 ounces Mild Soft Goat Cheese at Room Temperature
- ¼ cup of Chopped Basil, Chives, Chervil, Dill, Parsley and Tarragon
- 1 tablespoon of Rosemary and Thyme
- 1 ½ tablespoon of Minced Shallots
- Baby Arugula (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- Put all of the ingredients and place in mixer with the paddle attachment and mix well.
- Take the whipped goat cheese and place into pastry bag and refrigerate until needed.
- Start by quartering the tomatoes and removing the top inedible part.
- Now place the tomatoes in the marinade and let sit overnight in your refrigerator.
- If you are tight on time you can marinade the tomatoes for a couple of hours and they will be fine.
- Now to assemble the salad, at Summit we like to use a ring mold for presentation but if this is not possible just present the tomatoes nicely in a bowl once the tomatoes are in, you should spoon the leftover marinade over the top.
- Then you can pipe the herbed goat cheese on to the tomatoes.
- This dish is really nice if you can find some baby arugula to add for some spice.
Serve super cold with a nice glass of Rosè and you have the perfect summer lunch.