Sign up here to receive the Recipe of the Month via email.
January 2015 - Natural Epicurean Indonesian Stir Fry
Indonesian Stir Fry
- ½ C Tamarind Paste, Free of Seeds
- 1C Water, Boiling
- ½ C Soy Sauce
- ¼ C Mirin
- ¼ C Rice Wine Vinegar
- 2 T Light Olive Oil
- 3/4 C Tempeh, Diced Large
- 3/4 C Eggplant, Diced Large
- ½ C Zucchini, Diced Large
- ½ C Green Beans, Trimmed, Blanched
- ¼ C Cherry Tomatoes, halved and diced
- 1 T Ginger, Minced
- 1 T Garlic, Minced
- 1 C Spinach Leaves
- ¼ C Peanuts, Roasted, Chopped
- TT Red Chile Flakes
- TT Salt
- TT Pepper
- Combine the tamarind paste and the boiling water and cover to make a tea. Set aside.
- Combine the soy sauce, mirin, and rice wine vinegar. Set aside.
- In a sauté pan, heat the olive oil until it just begins to smoke.
- Sauté the tempeh, browning it lightly, and reduce the heat if necessary.
- Add the eggplant and zucchini and sauté until tender.
- Add the green beans and cherry tomatoes and heat through.
- Add the ginger and garlic and sauté until fully cooked, but not browned.
- Add the spinach and one tablespoon of the tamarind tea, and allow to reduce quickly.
- Add about a tablespoon of the soy sauce mixture, the red chile flakes, salt and pepper and allow to reduce quickly.
- Sprinkle with the chopped peanuts.