|Back to listing||Apply|
500101-Baking and Pastry Extern (May Start)
Prepare desserts, pastries, cookies, breads and specialty items according to the menu. Assist the chef as necessary and will be spending time in the pastry shop and the bakery. Students will gain experience in the Culinary Department at a 5-Star/5-Diamond level and includes at least one rotation to another outlet. NOTE: This is a paid externship and must be recognized by externs collegiate institution as academic credit towards his/her chosen culinary degree. This is a full-time externship which entails 32-40 hours per week for 16 weeks. Housing is on a first-come, first-serve basis and is not guaranteed.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following and other duties may be assigned:
- Prepare food for breakfast / lunch / dinner
- Maintain a clean, organized and sanitary work area
- Advise chef when food inventory is depleted
- Operate all kitchen equipment properly
- Prepare requisitions slips
- Must be able to understand and adjust recipes according to business levels
- Maintain a working knowledge of properly storing, rotating and maintaining products
- Must be able to maintain Servsafe and health department standards
- Maintain comprehensive preparation and knife skills
- Ability to check and complete mise en place and pars to set-up the station
- Prepare and service all food items for a la carte and/or buffet menus according to hotel recipes and standards
- Ensure production of food in a timely manner
- Prepare food so that quality, taste and appearance of food is in accordance with Broadmoor standards
- Control proper usage and rotation of food
- Ensure food quality and appearance on buffet, and plated food, is in accordance with Broadmoor standards
- Alert Chef or direct supervisor to any food quality issues that could have an adverse effect on Broadmoor Resort culinary operations
- Maintain walk-in coolers and food storage areas on a daily basis
- Ensure work station and all equipment is clean and sanitized prior to the change of shift
- Ensure outlined prep is completed in a timely manner for the next shift
- Make sound judgment calls and decisions based upon principles set forth by The Broadmoor culinary management team
- Highly responsible & reliable
- Ability to work well under pressure in a fast paced environment
- Ability to work cohesively as part of a team
- Ability to focus attention on guest needs, remaining calm and courteous at all times
- Takes required breaks, notifying supervisor prior to leaving station
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Working towards a culinary degree in baking and pastry from an accredited and approved extern school. Must be fluent in both oral/written English language. Must be able to use knives and other kitchen equipment.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before small groups of customers or employees of organization.
Ability to work with mathematical concepts. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to wet or humid conditions (non-weather); work near moving mechanical parts; extreme cold (non-weather) and extreme heat (non-weather). The employee is frequently exposed to fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals and outdoor weather conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to work in high, precarious places; risk of electrical shock; work with explosives; risk of radiation and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk or hear and taste or smell. The employee is occasionally required to sit and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 60 pounds. Occasionally push and/or pull 100+ lbs and lift up to 100 lbs with assistance. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
|Back to listing||Apply|