Pauline Memorial Chapel
Pauline Memorial Chapel at The Broadmoor
In 1918, Spencer Penrose submitted two designs for the chapel on behalf of his wife Julie, a devout Catholic, to the Bishop of the Diocese of Denver. The first was a sketch by Broadmoor hotel architects Warren & Wetmore. Later that year, an additional design, in a Spanish Mission style, was sent from Thomas MacLaren & Douglas Hetherington Architects of Colorado Springs. The second rendering was chosen and construction was completed in the spring of 1919. However, Pauline Chapel was not dedicated as a Catholic church until 1925 when St. Paul's Catholic Parish of Colorado Springs was established.
During their travels through Europe in the early 1900's, Mr. and Mrs. Penrose acquired many examples of religious art and artifacts that spoke to the rich history and tradition of the early church. Today, The Pauline Chapel is a popular choice for wedding ceremonies, and is also open to hotel guests and community each Sunday at 9:00am.
About the Name
Julie was a widow. Her first marriage to James McMillan, produced two children – a son, Jimmy, who died shortly before his father in 1902, and a daughter, Gladys. During World War I, Gladys, her husband and Julie's granddaughter Pauline had been trapped in German occupied Belgium. During this tense time, Julie turned to prayer and support from the church. When her family was safe, she requested the chapel be named "Pauline" in celebration and thanksgiving. No Catholic parish existed in Colorado Springs at the time, so the chapel opened its doors in 1919 as a place for worship. It wasn't until St. Paul Parish was established that Pauline Chapel was recognized as part of the Catholic Church.
In a 1941 story on Julie Penrose and Pauline Chapel, the Colorado Springs Gazette Telegraph explained the history, stating that its original intention was to be a "monument to God for meditation and prayer of the hotel guests, as well as Julie's personal use." Coming full circle, Pauline Chapel is once again a place of prayer and celebration for people of all faiths, as well as a fitting home for the Penrose's collection of religious artwork.
: The corner of Park and Mesa Avenues across the street from the entrance to Broadmoor West
: Open to hotel guests and the community each Sunday at 9:00 am.
The Chapel is also available for Broadmoor wedding ceremonies
. Call 719.577.5777
for additional information.